The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport wishes to acknowledge the late Stephen Ashton as a posthumous recipient of the Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in today’s Queen’s Birthday Honours.
Ashton was awarded the honour today for his significant service to motor sport, and through his professional career as a highly-decorated architect.
Steve’s interest in rallying started 40 years ago whilst at university. With Ro Nixon (later to become his wife) as co-driver, Steve competed at club, state, national and international level.
He also turned his considerable skill as a driver into campaigns in the Australian Safari, London to Sydney Marathon, Rally Australia and Round Australia events.
Ashton joined the CAMS National Rally Panel (as it was known then) in 1990. The panel then became the Australian Rally Commission and in July 1995 Steve was appointed Deputy Chairman, a position he held until December 2006.
He founded Rallycorp (which was the commercial arm of the Australian Rally Championship) in 1999 and was its Chairman until the end of 2009.
From 2001 until 2007 Steve served in the role of FIA Observer at numerous events in the FIA Asia Pacific Rally Championship.
For his great contribution to motor sport, Steve Ashton was awarded Life Membership of CAMS in 2016.
Ashton was also one of the three founding partners in the well-known and highly-awarded Melbourne architectural firm ARM, which designed amazing buildings like Storey Hall at RMIT, the National Museum of Australia (in Canberra), Perth Arena, Hamer Hall and Melbourne Recital Centre and MTC Theatre.
Ashton’s widow Ro Nixon also received a Member of the Order of Australia honour today for her career in the field of dermatology, academia and community work.
Notable Services by the late Mr Stephen Cameron Ashton
- Founding Director, Ashton Raggatt Mcdougall (ARM) Architects, from 1988; Co-Founder,
- Ashton and Raggatt Architects, 1984.
- President, Victorian Chapter, Australian Institute of Architects, 1990-1992; Senior VicePresident,
- 1998-1990; Chair, Board of Practice Service, 1988-1990; Councillor, 1986-1994;
- Life Fellow, 1998.
- Tutor, Faculty of Architecture, University of Melbourne, many years.
- Active Member, Launch Housing, Victoria.
- Member, Ministerial Working Party into the Architect's Act, 1989-1990.
- Chair, Building Professions Committee, 1989-1990.
- Examiner, Architects Registration Board.
- FIA Observer, Asia-Pacific Rally Championship, Federation Internationale de L'Automobile,
- 2001-2007; Chairman, Rally of Canberra, 1996-2001.
- Deputy Chairman, Australian Rally Commission, Confederation of Australia Motor Sport,
- 1995-2009; Member, National Rally Panel, 1990-1995.
- Life Member, Confederation of Australian Motor Sport, February 2016.
- Founding Chairman, Rallycorp, 1999-2009