ENGINE SEALING FOR GROUPS “S” & “N” TO BE MANDATORY FROM 1.1.2018
The purpose of engine sealing is to maintain the integrity of the cylinder bore & stroke measurements.
All engines to be sealed by a;
- Historic Eligibility Officer or,
- CAMS Technical Commissioner or,
- Any CAMS category authorised engine inspector/engine sealer
Engines are to be sealed in accordance with the following procedure.
- The sealer for the engine being sealed will not have ANY association with the particular vehicle which the engine is being sealed for.
- Engine to be assembled to a short motor.
- Measure cylinder bore & stroke.
- Bore & stroke must respect the engine regulation & specification information. Refer to the CAMS Specification Sheet for the particular vehicle. If the measurements exceed the allowed specifications then the engine will not be sealed.
- Observe for any unauthorised modifications.
- Bolts to be wired & seals to be in place as necessary.
- List bore/stroke measurements & any observations on the form.
- The engine sealer is to provide to the competitor a CAMS Engine Inspection Sheet signed with a clearly printed name of the inspector.
- The Competitor will retain a copy of the engine sealing results for your records as you may be required to provide this information to the CAMS representative when requested.
- Where there is a question of a suspect engine at a race meeting and the engine is found to be not sealed, the engine is to be sealed & the matter referred to the Stewards of the Meeting.
- Engines sealed prior to inspection/measuring will be subject to inspection at the convenience of the competitor ie; When the engine is being dismantled for maintenance.
- Where the engine is requested to be dismantled for inspection (either as a result of a protest &/or at the discretion of the Stewards) & if found to be non-compliant the competitor will lose any accrued points from the time the engine was sealed, a charge is to be raised & referred to the Stewards for deliberation.
Engine Seal Removal
IF THE ENGINE SEAL IS REMOVED FOR ANY REASON THE COMPETITOR MUST COMPLETE A SEAL REMOVAL FORM AND FORWARD A COPY TO THE CATEGORY TECHNICAL COMMISSIONER.
Engines that have CAMS approved aftermarket parts installed eg cylinder heads, engine blocks may require extra sealing procedures to be carried out during assembly. Refer to the car make and model Specification Sheet for details.
Rotary engined cars must have engines checked for porting modifications and sealed during assembly.